To upgrade the Ubuntu OS from one version to another version, Ubuntu offers some tools like rick upgrade utility but these tools are not reliable. There are some cases of data loss due to some dependencies and broken packages. so people prefer fresh installation by changing the primary host OS.
To avoid such situations there is a tool called Aptik which will make installation and up-gradation easier.To simplify re-installation of software packages after upgrading or re-installing Ubuntu, aptik is a simple tool allows to backup software sources (PPA), installed software, and other user data with just a few clicks.
While doing backup and restore (exclude one-click backup / restore), it lists available items and allows you to choose which to backup / restore. Some backups are encrypted with given passwords.
Aptik Backup and Restore for the following items.
• Software Packages : Backup and Restore all extra packages installed on the system.
• Launchpad PPAs : Backup and Restore all third-party repositories (Launchpad PPAs) added to the system.
• Downloaded Packages : Backup and Restore downloaded DEB packages in the APT cache path (/var/cache/apt/archives)
• Icons & Themes : Backup and Restore installed GTK/KDE themes and icon themes from /usr/share/icons and /user/share/themes.
• Application Settings : Backup and Restore zipped archives of application configuration folders from home directory.
• Users & Groups : Backup and Restore users and groups information (including, the login password, group memberships, account expiry settings, password change policy, etc).
• Mount Entries : Backup and Restore the entries in /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab
• Home Data : Backup and Restore the contents of the user’s Home directory. Backups are incremental, compressed (with gzip) and encrypted (with GPG).
• Scheduled Tasks : Backup and Restore the cron tab entries for all users.
How to install Aptik:
$ sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install aptik
In debian Aptik can be installed by DEB package and dpkg command.
To remove aptik, either use Synaptic Package Manager or run the following command in terminal:
$ sudo apt-get remove aptik && sudo apt-get autoremove
$ The PPA can be removed by Software & Updates utility under Other Software tab.
Aptik is easy to use and provides a simple GUI. It can be easily launched from application menu. Following are these steps to backup :
• Launch Aptik
• Choose backup location and hit the button backup.
• In the next window there is a list of items which are available for back up,hit backup button once again.
• To back up all items at once, Use one-click backup button.
• To Restore items, Use one click restore button.
Using Aptik tool is easy and reliable.